|May 23, 2020||
Yup, That'll Do It
Within hours of posting our previous statement the Governor of Illinois released his Restore Illinois plan which documents how they plan to reopen the state. Part of that plan states that gatherings of 50 or more people will be prohibited until Phase 5, which is when there's a vaccine, a readily available treatment, or no new cases. This counts as a "force majeure" for us as it is extremely unlikely that Illinois will be in Phase 5 by late August. So we have no choice but to postpone the event.
The next in-person FuMPFest is currently scheduled to take place August 20-22, 2021. Dr. Demento and most of the previously announced guests have already been confirmed so we will be able to go ahead with our plans for celebrating Dr. Demento's 50th anniversary, even if it is a year late.
For 2020 we will be holding a free online event on the evening of August 29th which will be streamed on Twitch and Dementia Radio. This will feature live concerts, Dumb Parody Ideas, The Logan Awards, and more.
The hotel has been very accommodating and we are looking forward to working with them in 2021. We will continue to monitor the pandemic and plan accordingly, but at this point we are hopeful that it will be safe to hold the in-person event in 2021.
FuMPFest E-Mail List
Sign up and receive and free exclusive download of live recordings from past events!
|May 3, 2020||
So We're All on the Same Page
There have been some grumblings and rumors starting to spread around Facebook so I wanted to post an update just so everyone understands the position we are in and what is happening with the convention.
At this point in time we can not cancel the event. As per our contract with the hotel if we were to cancel now we would owe the hotel more money than we could possibly come up with. We're talking multiple 5-figures here. That would be disasterous for us and would likely be the end of FuMPFest, The FuMP, and everything else done under the name FIDIM Interactive, LLC.
Instead, we must wait until a time closer to the event when it is clear that the event can not happen due to forces beyond our control. That could be because the virus is still a cause for concern, or the ban on gatherings is still in effect, or something to that effect that will allow us to trigger the "force majeure" clause of the contract. That's like a no-fault clause that allows us both to walk away from the contract without penalty. We need be able to say to the hotel "Look, we want to have the event, but we can't and here's why."
At this point in time it's just too soon to trigger that clause. There are too many variables and late August is too far out to project with any certainty. We may not be able to make a reasonable decision until late June or possibly even July, so until then we are continuing with the plans in case it does happen. (If the event happens and we haven't finished planning then nobody is going to be happy.)
We are not being overly optimistic and we are not blindly plowing ahead with our plans regardless of the risk to people. We are literally doing the only thing we can do at this point in time.
Yes, we are hopeful that the event will still happen. But in order for that to happen the pandemic needs to be effectively over by then. We are not going to hold an event that puts our attendees at risk. If and when FuMPFest happens it will be because we believe it is safe to proceed.
Thank you for understand and thank you for your continued support.
|April 5, 2020||
We are monitoring the coroniavirus pandemic closely and taking it very seriously. As much as we want to have fun and put on an awesome weekend for you we need to make sure everyone is safe first.
As of now it is too soon to determine what will be the proper course of action for this year's event. Nobody knows how long this is going to last or how it will play out. So, for now, we are proceding as planned in the hopes that things will be somewhat back to normal by the end of August.
We will continue to monitor the situation over the coming weeks and months and reevaluate things as we get closer to the event. We are hopeful that the event will be able to go ahead as planned, but if we need to cancel or postpone the event we will notify everyone who registered by email and post an announcement here on the website. Please watch this page for future updates.